I made it back from Brazil in time to attend the 1-day SIME conference in London. It was an enlightening day with lots of good data & insights around mobile & social trends. Some of the snippets captured…
Today: Mobile data growth doubled between Q1 2011 to Q2 2012 & there are 6.3 billion mobile subscriptions worldwide.
2017: People will use 15X more data. 85% of the world will have 3G coverage (50% for 4G). 9 billion mobile subscriptions, 5 billion mobile broadband, 3 billion mobile smartphone.
Mobility + Cloud + Broadband = Recipe for great innovation yet to come.
- Look at combining business efficiency with a great user experience.
- Be prepared to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the prince.
- Disrupt a part of the value chain rather than recreate it.
- Don’t create PR campaigns, create something that’s PR-worthy instead
- Look at how your product fit into consumers’ lives or “bring to life the purpose of our brands” (Diageo)
- 1 billion people on social networks
- TV is not going away
- Ad spend is increasing (led by Internet advertising)
- Data is growing by a factor of 44 between 2009-2020 to 35ZB