Came across the Definitive Guide to htaccess Technique posting that nicely summarized the following useful .htaccess tips for webpages being served up by apache:
- Create a custom error page.
- Prevent directory browsing.
- Set the default page of each directory.
- Set up a 301 redirect.
- Compress file output with GZIP.
- Redirect to a secure https connection
- Block script execution.
- Force a file to download with a “Save As” prompt.
- Restrict file upload limits for PHP.
- Enable File Caching.
- Protect your site from hotlinking.
- Disguise your file types.
In addition to the tips. The posting also has common mistakes and don’ts. It’s a great resource for any web admin.